ADS trash collection price and performance wasn’t on the agenda, but even former Commissioner Richard Lee stood up to speak about it two weeks ago at the April 14th 2015 Regular Session, along with two other citizens David Eaton and me. See also VDT trash story. The VDT didn’t pick up on Ann Swayze’s smoot and soot concerns also being related, because nobody stood up to complain about burning in Foxborough before the collection centers closed.
Commissioners did the right thing and unanimously rezoned Vallotton Farms back to Estate Agriculture, like it was before county-wide rezoning happened. It wasn’t like the County Planner said, “it has developed around it in an urban way”. The subject land and landowners didn’t do that: other people have built subdivisions around it the the county’s active promotion. And for once agriculture won, after landowner attorney Bill Langdale, Commissioner Demarcus Marshall, and I spoke up for it.
The two Sheriff’s requests for body armor and High Enforcement of Aggressive Traffic (HEAT) Team grant, were tabled until the next meeting. The Vickers rezoning item was withdrawn by applicant, (the County Planner at the previous morning’s Work Session explained that was because they’d worked out a way for the property to count as five acres so no rezoning was necessary).
Everything else was unanimously approved, including the Vickers rezoning to commercial, the three water-related items, a Georgia Department of Agriculture Spay/Neuter Grant Request, another paving items (Resurfacing of 3 County Roads (Howell Road, Whitewater Road and Ousley)) a Fuel Island Upgrade, and the Execution of the Resolution for the Hazardous Waste Trust Fund. That last Resolution is about reimbursement for monitoring of the closed Clyattville landfill about which the county chooses to reveal very little. Last I heard, the Sabal Trail methane pipeline was still proposed to go through there with its hundred-foot right of way and 36-inch pipe. I wonder how that would affect monitoring?
Here’s the agenda and below are links to the videos, followed by a video playlist. See also the LAKE videos of the previous morning’s Work Session the LAKE videos of the preceding Planning Commission meetin.
- 1. Call to Order 2. Invocation 3. Pledge
- 4. Minutes for Approval
- 5.a. REZ-2015-06 Vickers, Franks Creek Rd, E-A to R-A, Well/Septic, ~4.41 acres
- 5.b. REZ-2015-07 Vallotton Farms, Inc., Bemiss Rd, R-21 and CON to E-A, ~572 acres
- 5.c. REZ-2015-08 Edward Jennings, LLC., Madison Hwy/Lineberger Dr, R-10 to C-G
- 6.a. Georgia Department of Agriculture Spay/Neuter Grant Request
- 6.b. FY 2016 BVP Grant 6.c. FY 2016 HEAT Grant tabled until next meeting
- 6.d. Update for Permit to Operate Public Water System at North Lowndes
- 6.e. Execution of the Resolution for the Hazardous Waste Trust Fund
- 6.f. Accept Quit Claim Deeds for Roswell Place Subdivision Detention Ponds
- 7.a. Paving on Boring Pond Road Phase III
- 7.b. Resurfacing of 3 County Roads (Howell Road, Whitewater Road and Ousley)
- 7.c. Replacement of Franks Creek Bridge on Morven Road
- 7.d. Fuel Island Upgrade
- 8. Reports: request executive session for attorney-client pending litigation
- 9. Reports, County Manager: Rabies & chip clinic; telecom week; Courthouse 110th
- 10. CWTBH ADS 38% fee increase with decreased service –Dave Eaton
- 10. CWTBH Smoke and soot concerns –Ann Swayze
- 10. CWTBH “You’ve messed up” on trash contract –Richard C. Lee
- 10. CWTBH ADS at original quote; thanks: Boring Pond Rd canopy –John S. Quarterman
- 11. Adjourn
Regular Session, Lowndes County Commission (LCC)
Valdosta, Lowndes County, Georgia, 14 April 2015.
Videos by Gretchen Quarterman for Lowndes Area Knowledge Exchange (LAKE).