$16,915 to upgrade a water main to subsidize a developer, but no approval of $15,957 to study public transportation and truck routing.
Speaking of subsidizing private developers, there’s yet more fallout from the failed 2007 mega-mall-and-subdivision Market Street project; see separate post.
And the Chairman gave an excellent demonstration of why elected officials would benefit by interacting and even debating with citizens, instead of jumping to conclusions and preaching at them.
Here’s the agenda, and the LAKE videos of the previous morning’s Work Session and the budget hearing immediately before the Regular Session. Below are the Regular Session LAKE videos with a few comments, followed by a video playlist.
- 1. Call to Order 2. Invocation 3. Pledge
- 4. Minutes for Approval
5.a. Keep Lowndes-Valdosta Beautiful (2)
Video. Appointed Vivian Cody and Molly Stokes at KLVB recommendation to replace Rick Griffis and Carla Gerben, whose terms expired and they did not want to be reappointed.
5.b. Lowndes Library Board (2)
Video. Reappointed Dr. Linda Most and appointed to vacant position Karl Osmus, both by acclamation.
- 6.a. Abandonment of Buck Cato Road
7.a. GEFA Loan Modification
Video. Previously approved the loan application 28 October 2014 and approved using it for the Alapaha Water Treatment Plant 26 May 2015. This time they corrected a reference to a section that didn’t exist.
7.b. Interlocal Agreement-Byrne Justice Assistance Grant (JAG)
Video. For sharing between Sheriff’s department and Valdosta police dept. already approved by city. Date typo fixed. Approved by county.
7.c. Lease/Purchase Agreement and Resolution for New SCADA Equipment
Video. Fixed the budget effect from monthly to annual. Joyce Evans made a motion! Several seconds. Unanimous approval.
7.d. Upgrade Water Main at Lake Alapaha Subdivision
Video. $16,915 to upgrade a water main to subsidize a developer, but no approval of less than that to study public transportation and truck routing.
- 7.e. Commercial Driveway for Raceway on James Road
- 7.f. Widening of a Portion of Old US 41 N
- 7.g. Engineering and Surveying Services for Water and Sewer Extension
- 7.h. Motorola Support Agreement for Offendertrak and PMDC
- 7.i. Mosquito Contract
7.j. Adoption of the Fiscal Year 2016 Budget
Video. See LAKE videos of 9 June 2015 Budget Hearing 1 and 23 June 2015 Budget Hearing 2. In specific items from the second budget hearing, they approved $190,500 out of general fund contingency for the jail and ankle monitoring items, as well as the mobile assessor item, then discussed two more items in more detail.
7.j. VLMPO transit study $6,252 + truck route study $8,845 = $15,957 motion failed
Video. Commissioner DeMarcus Marshall moved to approve the entire $15,957, but did not get a second.
7.j. Tabled Airport Authority request for six months
Video. They had a lot of discussion about how long to table.
7.j. Vote: Adoption of the Fiscal Year 2016 Budget
Video. Commissioner Demarcus Marshall moved to approve the budget, which they did.
- 7.k. Declaration of Surplus Computers and Printers and Authorization for Disposal
- 7.l. Beer License—Neil OM 2 LLC, Dba One Stop #1 — 3980 N. Valdosta Rd.
- 7.m. Beer License—David T. Hall, Dba The Country Store — 3954 Old US Hwy 41
- 7.n. Beer, Wine, and Liquor Catering License—Cowboys Fire Pit Grill, LLC
- 8.a. Bid for Two Commercial Utility Vans for the Utilities Department
- 8.b. Bid for ¾ Ton Truck for the Utilities Department
- 7.c. Bid for ½ Ton Truck for the Utilities Department
- 9. Reports-County Manager: Fire Chief Guyton on fireworks
10. CTBH: Barking neighbor dog and county took his dog before –Billy Rowland
Video. Chairman lectured citizen about not taking matters into his own hands and said he wasn’t going to debate. Eventually citizen got a word in edgewise to say he meant legally. Maybe he means he’ll sue like I hear the Racetrak on James Road had to before they got their driveway fixed.
Here’s a video playlist:
Videos: Four board appointments, plus Justice, Water, and Alcohol
Regular Session, Lowndes County Commission (LCC),
Video by Gretchen Quarterman for Lowndes Area Knowledge Exchange (LAKE),
Valdosta, Lowndes County, Georgia, 23 June 2015.