Remerton at almost 28 minutes was far the longest item at the Greater Lowndes Planning Commission Monday. Second was for Hahira, at 12 minutes. Everything else breezed through.
Remerton and Hahira Cases @ GLPC 2022-04-25
The sound is not so good because the county has still not fixed the audio in the room.
Below are links to each LAKE video of each agenda item, with a few notes by Gretchen Quarterman, followed by a LAKE video playlist.
See also the Lake Park packet item, which Loretta Hylton of the Southern Georgia Regional Commission sent, saying she heard I was looking for it. It’s now on the LAKE website (PDF). Also, she said “The attorney pulled the Dasher item before submitting it to the Planning Commission.”
We still don’t have the Remerton item. The Valdosta and Hahira items were already on the LAKE website, previously sent by City Planner Matt Martin. We still don’t have the Remerton items. There were no Lowndes County packet items.
- 1. Call to Order 2. Pledge 3. Invocation
- 1. Call to Order (reading of the rules)
- 2. Minutes for Approval
- 3. LP-2202-03-08 William J Brady, 405 S Marion St, 0223D 021C, 2 acres, R-6 to M-2
5. RE-2022-01: MCL Investment Properties, 1201 Baytree Road, 0.80 ac – C-C to M-F
This was long and complicated. There are five different things that are being considered in the development of these properties.
The planner prefers to have properties facing Baytree be commercial.
There are three lots in total being considered for this Planned Development. The planned development with retail on 1st floor in the west side of Remerton doesn’t have many (any?) tenants yet and the developer doesn’t want to do that again.
There were no slides available for presentation to the public. Maybe in the future, Remerton could provide those so everyone in the audience could see.
This was approved unanimously with the condition that there be no entrance or exit from the property on Baytree Road.
6. COA-2022-01: MCL Investment Properties, LLC, 1201 Baytree Road,
In this context COA = Certificate of Appropriateness.
7. RE-2022-02: MCL Investment Properties, 1706 Poplar Street, 0.47 ac C-C to M-F
This is a lot on Poplar street and in any case, the planner would prefer that this lot not be commercial, but rather multi-family.
- 9. COA-2022-02: MCL Investment Properties, 1706 Poplar Street
8. 8. PUD-2022-01: MCL Investment Properties, LLC, Planned development on 1.49
These were done out of order (9 before 8) because the Planned Development (PUD) requires all the other steps first.
It was approved (like all the rest). The issue of access to Baytree road will be left to the Remerton City Council for final decision at the city council meeting, to be held Monday, May 9, 2021 at 5:30 pm.
10. HA-2022-06, Sweet Bay Properties, 7440 Union Road, 0024 024, 72 ac, R-15 to R-6
Some years ago (2008), this property was annexed into the city of Hahira with R-15 zoning. Then the 2008 crash came and the property was never developed. The same owner/developer is wanting to do higher density. The commission recommended R-10 rather than R-6 and the developer said they would agree.
Final action by the city of Hahira, Thursday, May 5, 2022 at 6:00 p.m.
11. CU-2022-04 Ashley Skipper, 2317 Bemiss Road, Conditional Use Permit (CUP)
This woman was at the February meeting, getting a re-zoning and then she had to come back to the the conditional use. Franklin Bailey apologized on behalf of the GLPC and said that he had spoken to the mayor of Valdosta about the difficulty for businesses to get through the system.
12. VA-2022-07 Trevor Shaw, 104 Hemlock Street, 0119C 051, 1.04 acres, M-2 to C-H
This is the corner lot at US 84 and N. St. Augustine Road but the actual lot faces Hemlock Street. Approved unanimously.
13. VA-2022-08 True North Companies, 2320 N Patterson St, 0113B 096, R-P to C-C
This is across the street from the Hospital / VSU North Campus and other bits of this area have been rezoned recently for a high rise development.
- Other Business (none) Meeting Adjournment
Here’s a LAKE video playlist:
Remerton and Hahira cases @ GLPC 2022-04-25
Greater Lowndes Planning Commission, Regular Session, Valdosta, Lowndes County, Georgia.
Videos by Gretchen Quarterman for Lowndes Area Knowledge Exchange (LAKE).
Investigative reporting costs money, for open records requests, copying, web hosting, gasoline, and cameras, and with sufficient funds we can pay students to do further research. You can donate to LAKE today!