Here’s Lowndes County’s list of Boards, Agencies & Commissions. Unfortunately, unlike Valdosta’s list, most of the names in the county’s list have no links to further information, and there’s no indication of which positions might be open or how to apply for them.
Update: 4:30 PM 24 April 2014: And there’s the Board of Elections which is decided by a completely different process with a quicker deadline of 28 April 2014.
We do know there’s a vacancy on the Valdosta-Lowndes County Industrial Authority (VLCIA), which presumably will be filled after the upcoming Special Election May 20th, but the county has given no indication of when. The only way the county usually announces open positions is when they appear on the County Commission’s agenda, which usually shows up online Friday for voting on Tuesday. For example, the county has appointed:
- 2014-04-22: Amanda Hall of Baytree Animal Hospital to the Dangerous Dog Board
- 2014-04-08: Greg Powell of Langdale Industries to Keep Lowndes-Valdosta Beautiful Board 8 April 2014
- 2014-01-28: Molly Deese to Valdosta-Lowndes County Conference Center & Tourism Authority Board (reappointment)
- 2014-01-28: Roy Copeland to VLCIA (reappointment)
- 2013-09-10: John “Mac” McCall to ZBOA (reappointment)
- 2013-07-22: Ellen Golden to Division of Family and Children Services (DFCS)
- 2013-06-25: Linda Most and Jack Hartley to the Library Board
- 2013-06-25: Ashley Paulk (no longer a County Commissioner) to VLPRA (reappointment); as indicated in the previous morning’s Work Session, there were absolutely no questions about that one, and the appointee did not appear.
- 2013-06-11: Molly Deese, Wild Adventures Vice President and General Manager, to Valdosta/Lowndes County Conference Center and Tourism Authority
- 2013-06-11: Emily Macheski-Preston to KLVB (reappointment)
- 2013-06-11: Paul Alvarado to ZBOA (reappointment)
- 2012-12-11: John “Mac” McCall to ZBOA
- 2012-12-10 (Work Session): Commissioner Evans asked about the applicant: “Will he be here tomorrow night?”
- 2010-06-10: Ashley Paulk (as County Chairman) to VLPRA
And since Commissioner Evans has been asking that question, most of the appointees have shown up to speak for themselves before being appointed. But we still don’t have any idea who they’re going to be until the Work Session or the Regular Session, because their names are not listed in the agenda, and any information about them in the board packets is not revealed to the public.