You can apply to be appointed by Valdosta to a local board or authority that decides or recommends on issues that affect everyone: do interesting work and serve your community. Dealine: April 30th. You don’t even have to live in Valdosta: anybody in Lowndes County can apply. If you want to run for a city council or county commission seat someday, this is a good way to start. And if you want to run for the state legislature or higher office, that’s the most common path to get there.
Update: 4:30 PM 24 April 2014: And there’s the Board of Elections which is decided by a completely different process with a quicker deadline of 28 April 2014.
Winnie Wright wrote for WCTV 23 April 2014, City Of Valdosta Looking To Fill 15 Vacancies In Boards, Authorities, and Commissions,
Valdosta Mayor, John Gayle, is asking for residents to perform their civic duty by filling these positions. The openings range from the Historic Preservation Commission, to Valdosta Airport Authority, and even keep Lowndes-Valdosta Beautiful. Mayor Gayle says you don’t need any previous experience to apply.
“You don’t have to have a certain amount of education or a college degree. We’re just basically looking for people that are willing to serve and there’s no educational requirement. Other than the background check and the code of ethics, and the willingness to serve; that’s it.”
According to Valdosta’s General Membership Requirements you don’t have to live in the City of Valdosta, just in Lowndes County:
2. Nominees must be a resident of Lowndes County for at least six (6) months prior to their nomination.
4. Nominees must maintain their residency in Lowndes County during their appointed term.
Here is the city’s advertisement for open positions:
CITY OF VALDOSTA
APPOINTMENTS FOR BOARDS, COMMISSIONS,
AUTHORITIES & ADVISORY COMMITTEES
In accordance with the City of Valdosta’s Appointment Policy and to provide an opportunity for qualified citizens to be made aware of opportunities to serve on various Boards, Commissions, Authorities, and Advisory Committees, the City of Valdosta announces the following openings:
- Greater Lowndes Planning Commission (1)
- Hospital Authority of Valdosta & Lowndes County (1)
- Keep Lowndes-Valdosta Beautiful (2)
- Public Art Advisory Committee – LVAC Member At Large (1) & Community At Large (2)
- Valdosta Housing Authority – Resident Appointment (1)
- Valdosta Housing Board of Adjustments & Appeals (3)
- Valdosta-Lowndes Co. Zoning Board of Appeals (1)
- Valdosta Airport Authority (1)
- Valdosta-Lowndes Co. Parks & Recreation Authority (1)
- Historic Preservation Commission (1)
Each person applying must review the Membership Requirements and Code of Ethics Booklet, complete a General Board Application, and sign a Code of Ethics form. The documents are available at www.valdostacity.com or contact Teresa S. Bolden, City Clerk, at City Hall, 216 East Central Avenue, Phone — (229) 259-3503, E-mail — firstname.lastname@example.org.
The closing date for submitting the General Board Application and Code of Ethics form to the City Clerk is Wednesday, April 30, 2014 at 5:00 p.m.
And here are the city of Valdosta’s descriptions of each of the boards and authorities.
Most of these boards and authorities have most of their other members appointed by the Lowndes County Commission; see next post.