The Valdosta City Council votes Thursday on a contract for flood mapping related to the series of secretive Army Corps of Engineers meetings, plus bids for water and sewer and smoke testing sewers. They’re also swearing in winners of the recent election and electing a mayor pro-tem (probably the same one), along with a change to the Entertainment Ordinance and public hearings to close an alley and abandon part of a street, and the usual City Manager’s Report, Council Comments, and Citizens to be Heard.
No detail in the city’s agenda about the flood mapping, but at the Lowndes County Commission Work Session 11 November 2013 Emergency Services Director Ashley Tye said the current agreement wouldn’t obligate any payment, merely to reserve the right to contract at a later date if that seemed to be in the county’s best interests, and at the Regular Session 12 November 2013 the county approved getting LIDAR data from NOAA Coastal Services Center. Neither the county nor the city has published this agreement.
Here’s the agenda:
REGULAR MEETING OF THE VALDOSTA CITY COUNCIL
5:30 PM Thursday, January 9, 2014
COUNCIL CHAMBERS, CITY HALL
- Opening Ceremonies
- Call to Order
- Pledge of Allegiance to the American Flag
- Election & Oath of Office
- Reading of the Election Results for the General Municipal Election and the Run-off Election by the City Manager.
- Oaths of Office for Council Districts 2, 4, & 6.
- Election of the Mayor Pro Tem.
- Awards and Presentations
- Presentation of the 2013 Greater Valdosta Christmas Parade Awards.
- Consideration of the January, 2014 Employee of the Month Award (Shirley Britt, City Manager & Mayor’s Office)
- Minutes Approval
- Valdosta City Council – Regular Meeting – Dec 5, 2013 5:30 PM
- Public Hearings
- Consideration of a request to close an alley located between East Moore Street and East College Street. This request was tabled at the December 5, 2013 Regular Council Meeting until the January 9, 2014 Regular Council Meeting.
- Consideration of a request to abandon an unused portion of right-of-way on Clark Street.
- Ordinances and Resolutions
- Bids, Contracts, Agreements and Expenditures
- Consideration of a request to approve bids for the extension of water and sewer services to Annexed Island Phase 1 – Island 77C.
- Consideration of a request to approve a Contract for Smoke Testing of the City of Valdosta’s Sewer System.
- Consideration of a request to approve an Interagency Agreement with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) for flood mapping and modeling.
- City Manager’s Report
- Council Comments
- Citizens to be Heard