Here’s a video playlist of most of the Hahira City Council Regular Session of Thursday 2 August 2012. Hahira City Council (population about 2,800) spent more time in open public discussion about each of several individual agenda items than the Lowndes County Commission (population 111,000+) typically spends on an entire “open meeting”.
They held a millage hearing and lowered the milage. They discussed developer tap fees (nay), discussed the now-ritual topic of bidding for waste disposal ( nay), and approved a GEFA loan for a new water well (yea). A surprise vote on fixing a tractor (yea) was not on the agenda.
Near the beginning they still have Citizens to Be Heard. Maybe they’re not afraid of their citizens? Citizens mostly wanted to talk about the police chief’s proposal to fine people who didn’t mow their lawns.
A few more videos will be added,
probably today, (now available as
of the votes on cost of living increases (yea), SPLOST VII (yea), the consent agenda (yea), and council comments at the end of the session.
Video Playlist Hahira City Council
Regular Session, Hahira City Council (Hahira),
Video by Gretchen Quarterman for Lowndes Area Knowledge Exchange (LAKE), Hahira, Lowndes County, Georgia, 2 August 2012.
- Call to order
- Establish quorum
- Pledge of allegiance
- Review/Correction of Minutes
- June 4, 2012 Work Session
- June 7, 2012 Council Meeting
- July 2, 2012 Work Session
- Citizens to Be Heard
- Public Hearings
- Millage Rate (City Manager)
- Review of Bills/Budget Overages
- Discussions A-C, E-F, H. (Moved to Consent, Consent, Removed)
- D. Tap Fees (Mayor Bullard)
- G. Discussion on Hahira’s Garbage contract & renewal (Rose Adams)
- Department Requests A-C, E-G. (Removed, Consent)
- D. Deep Well GEFA Loan (City Manager)
- H. FY12 COLA (City Manager)
- Consent Agenda
- RFP Advertisement for Architect — Public Works Building
- USDA 4-H Application
- Railroad Property Appraisal
- SPLOST VII Agreement
- Savings Allocation — General Fund
- Clerk’s Fall Conference
- Georgia Rural Water Association Fall Conference
- City Manager
- Executive Session