Teri Lupo reappointed to VLDA and almost all the Commissioners asked questions at some point during the at the Tuesday 5:30 PM 13 January 2015 Regular Session of the Lowndes County Commission, at which two new Commissioners got to vote. Several citizens spoke, on getting board packets on the web, on getting their road paved, on safety on Val Del Road and reopening some of the waste collection sites, and the National Council of Negro Women; the Chairman weighed in on a couple of topics.
The Alapaha River Water Trail resolution, according to the Chairman before the meeting, is waiting until they’re ready to dedicate the new boat ramp at US 84, which is waiting until the river water goes down enough to pour concrete. Maybe some time this spring.
See the agenda for details on what they were considering, and see the videos of the previous morning’s Work Session for background. Below are links to the LAKE videos of each agenda item, followed by a video playlist. See also the county’s own much more professional one big long video.
- 1. Call to Order 2. Invocation 3. Pledge
- 4. Minutes for Approval and welcome new commissioners
- 6.a. Hotel – Motel Tax Rate
- 5.a. Appointments – Valdosta – Lowndes Development Authority
- 6. b/c. Special Assessment Rate For 2015 & Section 125 Amendment
- 6.d. Sheriff’s Office Position Reclassification Request
- 7.a. Lowndes County Jail – Refurbish Showers Pod “ A ”
- 7.b. Lowndes County Jail – A New Roof For Housing Pod “A”
- 7.c. FY 2013 CDBG – Lowndes County Second Harvest Renovation
- 7.d. Drainage Improvements For Moss Oak Trail
- 7.e. Automated External Defibrillator Bid
- 8. Managers Report
9. CWTBH – John S. Quarterman
Video. I complimented the Commission and staff on the extended agendas in which we can see names of people being considered for appointment and bidder names and amounts. Also for the county’s own videos, noting they’d be even more useful if the Work Session videos were on the web before the Regular Session so people could see what the Commission already did. And I asked for them to put the board packets on the web as well.
9. CWTBH – Chairman Slaughter comments on new web site
Video. He complimented staff on the new website, said “we will continue to work on it”, and indicated “we will never be able to satisfy everybody’s needs”.
9. CWTBH – Ms Boyd and Ms Geary
Video. They asked for help getting their road paved; can’t make out the name of the road.
9. CWTBH – John Page – ValDel Road safety
Video. He showed pictures of how a creek runs under Val Del Road near Lucas Richardson Road and he suggested a guard rail there. He also asked for the county to re-open some of the waste collection sites. Don’t miss the Special Called Meeting on Waste Management Monday morning 26 January 2015.
- 9. CWTBH – Bettye McClendon and NCNW
Here’s a video playlist:
Videos: VLDA appointment, jail, taxes, water
Regular Session, Lowndes County Commission (LCC),
Video by John S. Quarterman for Lowndes Area Knowledge Exchange (LAKE),
Valdosta, Lowndes County, Georgia, 13 January 2015.