LOWNDES COUNTY BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS
WORK SESSION, MONDAY, APRIL 22, 2013, 8:30 a.m.
REGULAR SESSION, TUESDAY, APRIL 23, 2013, 5:30 p.m.
327 N. Ashley Street – 2nd Floor
- Call to Order
- Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag
- Minutes for Approval
- Work Session — April 8, 2013
- Regular Session — April 9, 2013
- Special Presentation — Westside Archives
Thelma Johnson Branham who worked for Valdosta and Lowndes County Schools for more than 40 years, and Warren Tyson Jr. a WW II veteran, helped give an award to Commisioner Joyce Evans. That’s one of two things Westside Archives does; the other is to crown a queen mother and king father, who are currently Branham and Tyson. The presenter mentioned that Branham taught home economics to him.
- For Consideration
- Motorola Support Agreement for Offendertrak and PMDC
- Beer and Wine License — Jayshree Mahader, LLC — 4593 North Valdosta Road
Finance Director Stephanie Black said it was due to a change of ownership; no questions; unanimous approval.
- 3 Trucks — Utility Department
At the Work Session Commissioner Marshall had some questions; there was no mention this time of any of the answers. Unanimous approval.
- Land Application Site Row Crop Lease
The county spreads liquid waste on a site in the south end of the county, and likes to lease it out for a couple of farming operations. Utilities Director Mike Allen said the high bid $13,140 from Swilley Farms, with 1% annual increase. See Work Session for Commissioner questions the previous morning, and the previous month for the haying bid on the same land application site. One Commissioner question about the row crop bid this time: “That’s per acre, right”? Answer: “I wish; no that’s for the entirety.” Unanimous approval.
- Reports-County Manager
- Mosquito spraying –Robin Cumbus
Public Works Director Robin Cumbus said the county contracts with VSU for trapping and surveillance; see separate post.
- Crawford Powell continued the other side of the love fest between the VDT and the county by praising VDT coverage of the fire department at the Smokin’ Pig fire. Fire Chief Guyton stood up and said a few words, but he wasn’t miced, so you’ll have to guess what they were.
- Citizens Wishing to be Heard Please State Name And Address
No citizens wished to be heard.
Here’s a video playlist:
Videos: trucks and row crops
Regular Session, Lowndes County Commission (LCC),
Video by Gretchen Quarterman for Lowndes Area Knowledge Exchange (LAKE), Valdosta, Lowndes County, Georgia, 23 April 2013.