Apparently WCTV’s “at the South Georgia Medical Center Parking Garage”> meant actually in the nearby parking lot, because that’s where we found some city and county employees and a few volunteers standing in the shade of a Valdosta Police van. An invocation and six speeches from five speakers ensued, all in support of SPLOST VII, the Special Local Option Sales Tax on the November ballot. Several of the speakers were not so positive off the podium about the library and auditorium projects, and nobody from the library board spoke.
Here are videos of all of the speeches.
- Continue the growth —Sam Allen, co-chair
- The most amazing thing I ve ever seen —Gail Green, co-chair
- SPLOST history —Larry Hanson, Valdosta City Manager
- SPLOST future —Joe Pritchard, Lowndes County Manager
- Quality growth —Suzan Prince
- Not here to debate —Sam Allen
The major theme of the event was a firm reminder that SPLOST VII is not a new tax, just a continuation of a penny sales tax that has been in place since 1987.
Fair enough. However, Sam Allen’s second talk summed up what’s wrong with SPLOST VII: Continue reading