Well, I’ve never seen this before, in a dozen years of watching this Planning Commission: an applicant opposing his own annexation request.
I asked the applicant afterwards, and he said he’d done it only once before, in fifteen years.
This was after the Planning Commissioners voted to approve his rezoning request, but to deny his request for a residential Planned Develepment on 59.63 acres in R-10 zoning. Commissioners then voted to recommend denial of he annexation, too. The actual decisions on all three of his requests were left to the Hahira Mayor-Council on Thursday, November 7, 2019. There appears to be no report in the Valdosta Daily Times, and Hahira has posted no minutes since March.
The City of Valdosta request for a rezoning was controversial, because at least one Commissioner didn’t like rezoning without an application by the landowner. The application for two residential duplexes in Hahira was mildly controversial because of buffers.
Below are links to each LAKE video, followed by a LAKE video playlist. See also the agenda.
- 1. Call to Order, Pledge, and Invocation: I arrived after that part, so there is no video. You can assume it was much like every meeting.
- Approval of the Meeting Minutes: September 30, 2019
- 3. COA-2019-02 1807 Plum Street, new primary structure in Remerton downtown
- 4. CU-2019-06 Mara Adams, 2918 North Oak St., CUP for Personal Service in R-P
- 5. VA-2019-07 City of Valdosta, 405 & 407 Pine Tree Rd, 0.59 ac R-M(c) to R-10
- 6. HA-2019-03 Stoker Dev., 417 Peters St., Hahira, SE, 2 res. duplexes in R-10
- 7. HA-2019-04 Ben House, 6670 Brookridge Dr., 59.63 ac R-21(co.) to R-10(city)
- 7. HA-2019-04 Against: John Holland & Jimmy Miley
7. HA-2019-04 Miley (against) Phelps (for) vote
Video. Commissioners voted unanimously to approve the rezoning.
8. HA-2019-05 Ben House, 6670 Brookridge Dr., res. Planned Dev., 59.63 ac in R-10
Video. Commissioners voted unanimously to deny based on square footage requirements.
9. HA-2019-06 Ben House, at 6670 Brookridge Drive, annex 59.63 acres into Hahira
Video. After the applicant opposed his own application, the Commissioners voted unanimously to recommend denial of the annexation.
- Other Business: Joint Ordinance update
Here’s a LAKE video playlist:
Videos: Developer opposes his own application
Regular Session, Greater Lowndes Planning Commission (GLPC),
Video by John S. Quarterman for Lowndes Area Knowledge Exchange (LAKE),
Valdosta, Lowndes County, Georgia, 2019-10-28.
Investigative reporting costs money, for open records requests, copying, web hosting, gasoline, and cameras, and with sufficient funds we can pay students to do further research. You can donate to LAKE today!