Half a million dollars for paving without any competitive bid: it’s the county way! Only one of three potential board appointees showed up. Commissioners asked a surprising number of questions, including about a water system trust indenture, but not enough. They vote this evening at 5:30 PM.
Here’s the agenda with links to the videos and a few notes.
LOWNDES COUNTY BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS
WORK SESSION, MONDAY, MAY 13, 2013, 8:30 a.m.
REGULAR SESSION, TUESDAY, MAY 14, 2013, 5:30 p.m.
327 N. Ashley Street – 2nd Floor
- Call to Order
Commissioner Joyce Evans presiding.
- Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag
- Minutes for Approval
- Work Session — April 22, 2013
- Regular Session — April 23, 2013
- Valdosta/Lowndes County Airport Authority
Only one of two potential appointees showed up to speak. See separate post.
- South Georgia Community Service Board
The South Georgia Community Service Board has a complete roster of board and staff, with pictures! Pritchard said current Chairman Shamb Purohit was willing to serve another three year term and vice-chair Cindy Vickery sent a letter saying the board supported that re-appointment. Commissioners asked for some background. Pritchard said Purohit was interim CFO at SGMC and had done an excellent job. He said the board helps people with mental health issues and having somebody from the hospital helps with that. Purohit was not present.
- Public Hearing — REZ — 2013-05 Zipperer/E. McCallum, 4850 Peat Moss Rd. R-10 to R-1, Well and Septic, ~2.7 acres
County Planner Jason Davenport said he thought the primary motivation was so the applicant could remove an existing home and move another onto the property. He said nobody spoke against at the Planning Commission. Commissioner Crawford Powell asked if this would affect the rest of the subdivision tract. Davenport said not, although subdividing was the other option the applicant could have chosen.
- For Consideration
- Beer License — C & M Country Store, LLC — 2295 New Statenville Hwy
- Beer and Wine License — Honest Enterprises, LLC — 4592 N. Valdosta Road
- Merciful Community Center Trust Indenture
Commissioners wanted to know why a trust indenture was required for this new well; see separate post.
- Building at Clyattville Park
County Manager said Lowndes County relocated a building to the property that now serves as Clyattville Park, and that park was deeded to the Valdosta-Lowndes County Parks and Recreation Authority (VLPRA) on its creation. (Somebody finally turned on Pritchard’s mic in the middle of that.) He said VLPRA now wants to dispose of the building since it no longer meets VLPRA needs, and VLPRA wants written assent from the county. Also he said the building is boarded up.
A Commissioner (John Page?) wanted to know what the building used to be. Pritchard said it used to be a voting precinct. There were no other questions.
- Bid – Soil cement, bituminous prime (with sand), and paving for Bayhill Drive, Pinewood Drive, Grand Pine Drive, Glenn Hill Drive, Bay Wood Drive, Bemiss Knights Academy Road North, a portion of Old Bemiss Road, Payton Place, and Dodd Road
Purchasing Director Kari L. Sands said staff recommendation is to award the bid to Scruggs Company for $495,845. No other bids were mentioned. See separate post.
- Reports-County Manager
No report, so they adjourned. No Executive Session this time. Time: 8:45, so the whole meeting took 15 minutes.
- Citizens Wishing to be Heard Please State Name And Address
That’s only in the Regular Session, which is this evening at 5:30 PM.
Here’s a video playlist:
Videos: Why do we need to pave those roads?
Work Session, Lowndes County Commission (LCC),
Video by Gretchen Quarterman for Lowndes Area Knowledge Exchange (LAKE),
Valdosta, Lowndes County, Georgia, 13 May 2013.