- Open meetings now include any time a quorum discusses business,
- even if there was no scheduled meeting.
- Committees now fall under open meetings.
- Executive sessions have specific requirements.
- Increased penalties from $500 to $100 for violating open meetings, plus potential criminal penalties up to $2,500.
- A custodian of records needs to be appointed so people will know who is responsbile for satisfying open records requests.
Here’s the video:
New Georgia sunshine laws explained by VLCIA lawyer
Regular Meeting, Valdosta-Lowndes County Industrial Authority (VLCIA),
Norman Bennett, Tom Call, Roy Copeland chairman, Mary Gooding, Jerry Jennett,
Andrea Schruijer Executive Director, J. Stephen Gupton attorney, Allan Ricketts Project Manager, Tom Davis, CPA, Lu Williams, Operations Manager, S. Meghan Duke, Public Relations & Marketing Manager,
Valdosta, Lowndes County, Georgia, 22 May 2012.
Video by John S. Quarterman for Lowndes Area Knowledge Exchange (LAKE).