The Region Four Planning Board represents 24 counties in the region. Members are appointed by their county commissioners; they are business and civic leaders with a strong interest in mental health, developmental disabilities and addictive diseases as well as consumers or family members of consumers.
The role of the Regional Planning Board is to give a voice to consumers and their families and other citizens in the region in assessing needs and recommending priorities for DBHDD services. The planning board makes recommendations about services and works with the regional office to develop an annual plan. Regional planning board members stay informed about local needs and issues and serve as advocates with public officials. The main objective of the board is to identify community needs and gaps in the current DBHDD service system and to make recommendations based on their findings.
The Georgia Department of Corrections says about Valdosta State Prison work details:
The Annex protects the public by maintaining custody of medium and minimum security offenders while providing outside work details to the community.I don’t quite understand how prisoners are being paid pennies for doing jobs that a lot of local unemployed people might want.
VSP and Annex Inside details: Orderlies, Grounds Maintenance, Laundry, Trash, and Maintenance. The Annex provides the following outside details: Correctional Industries, Department of Transportation, Georgia State Patrol, City of Valdosta (3 details), Lowndes County (2 details), Cook County, Valdosta State Prison (2 details), Department of Transportation (Weigh Station), Valdosta Police Department, Mobile Construction and Maintenance (Outside Institution).
Here’s the agenda:
WORK SESSION, MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 12, 2011, 8:30 a.m.
REGULAR SESSION, TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 13, 2011, 5:30 p.m.
327 N. Ashley Street – 2nd Floor
- Call to Order
- Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag
- Event Recognition — 4H Kids Dig It
- Minutes for Approval
- Work Session — August 22, 2011
- Regular Session — August 23, 2011
- Appointment – Mental Health, Developmental Disabilities, and Addictive Diseases Regional Planning Board
- Public Hearing
- REZ-2011-11 West-Fuller, 5303 Tucker Road, 137-25 & 25A, ~1.31 ac, E-A & R-1 to R-1 and R-21, well/septic
- REZ-2011-12 Cardwell, 5415 Railroad Ave, 0095 003, 1 lot, 1 acre, R-10 to R-21, well/septic
- TXT-2011-01 Combination Plats, Administrative/Clerical Changes, Zoning Map, & Other Amendments
- For Consideration – 2011-2012 Prison Detail Contract
- Reports-County Manager
- Citizens Wishing to be Heard Please State Name And Address