The Lowndes County Commission appointed people to four boards, approved a budget for next fiscal year, made some unspecified changes to this year’s budget, and demonstrated they could both stop speeding traffic on a rural road and put a cap on a construction contract! All this in one meeting, their Regular Session of 26 June 2012.
Here’s the agenda. Here are videos of the previous morning’s Work Session. And here are videos of the 5PM (actually 4:57PM) budget hearing.
- Unscheduled item: Recognition of Mickey Tillman by Chairman Ashley Paulk and Joe Pritchard.
- 6.a. Reappointed Michael McDowell to the Valdosta-Lowndes County Parks & Rec. Authority (VLPRA).
- 5. Adopt the Budget Commissioner Joyce Evans said a few words about the ankle monitoring program and made the motion, which was unanimously approved.
- 6.b. Appointed Jim Scruggs with Valdosta Mechanical to the Valdosta/Lowndes County Construction Board of Adjustments and Appeals (VLCCBAA). Bill Slaughter’s term had expired, and he did not want to be reappointed. Rich Rowe and Tim Coons were the other two applicants.
- 6.c. Reappointed Rick Griffis and Carla Gervin to the board of Keep Lowndes Valdosta Beautiful (KLVB).
- 6.d. Appointed Cheryl Copeland Director of Testing for Valdosta City Schools, Barry Barr Branch Manager of Stifel Nicolaus, and Kay Harris to the Valdosta-Lowndes County Library Board. They didn’t mention, but the VDT 2 May 2012 noted:
South Georgia Regional Library Chairman Kay Harris, who is also the Valdosta Daily Times managing editorHarris declined to speak at the LCC meeting.
- 7. Public Hearing: Abandonment of a Portion of Brinson Drive: see other post.
- 8.a. They approved some unspecified (to we the taxpayers who are paying for them) budget amendments.
- 8.b. They approved five Service Contracts.
- 8.g. They approved an accellerated well debt retirement agreement with DoubleTree Communities.
- 8.h. They approved Sprint Nextel Closing Documents for 800 MHz Reconfiguration. See my notes on the Work Session for more detail.
- 8.i. They approved ACCG IRMA Liability Program Renewal. See my notes on the Work Session for what ACCG and IRMA are.
- 9. FY 2010 Community Development Block Grant: see other post.
Here’s a video playlist:
Budget, boards, and abandonment
Regular Session, Lowndes County Commission (LCC),
Video by Gretchen Quarterman for Lowndes Area Knowledge Exchange (LAKE), Valdosta, Lowndes County, Georgia, 26 June 2012.