Not on the agenda for the Greater Lowndes Planning Commission (GLPC), and not in the board packet materials Lowndes County sent in response to a LAKE open records request, instead showing up under Other Business, were some updates to the Unified Land Development Code (ULDC).
Former Lowndes County Planner Jason Davenport, rehired by the county as a consultant, said he gave the Planning Commission a list of a dozen ULDC amendments that would come before them next month for a recommendation. They included:
- a change to the number of criteria the Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBOA) uses to decide variances
- automatic adoption of state-required code changes
- chickens: when he left, he had no idea they would be so popular
- time measurement
- solar enforcement: this he said was the only lengthy one
- burn ordinance
- day care, due to state changes in definitions
- tree bank: a loophole for developers
- public hearing procedures to be clarified to only apply to the County Commmission
- conservation subdivisions
- ZBOA: state requires a staff contact person in case of appeal
- minor amendments: updating 2006 Word document headings, typos, etc.
He said the document included a copy of the schedule of bringing these changes to the various bodies.
He indicated he expected such updates every six months.
How are the taxpayers citizens suppose to have input into a stealth ordinance change like that?
Withdrawn by applicant: 3. REZ-2023-05 AB Motorsports, Old Clyattville Road.
Breezed through to a unanimous recommendation for approval: 4. REZ-2023-06 Camp Resort at Wild Adventures, PD amendment.
Below are links to each LAKE video of each agenda item, with a few notes by Gretchen Quarterman, followed by a LAKE video playlist.
1. Call to Order, Pledge and Invocation
1. Call to Order (part 2)
2. Approval of the Meeting Minutes: March 27, 2023
3. REZ-2023-05 AB Motorsports, Old Clyattville Road (withdrawn)
4. REZ-2023-06 Camp Resort at Wild Adventures, PD amendment
Other Business – ULDC updates
Here’s a LAKE video playlist:
Videos: ULDC Updates, AB Motorsports withdrawn, Wild Adventures glamping @ GLPC @ 2023-04-24
Greater Lowndes Planning Commission (GLPC), Valdosta, Lowndes County, Georgia, Monday, April 24, 2023.
Videos by Gretchen Quarterman for Lowndes Area Knowledge Exchange (LAKE).
Investigative reporting costs money, for open records requests, copying, web hosting, gasoline, and cameras, and with sufficient funds we can pay students to do further research. You can donate to LAKE today!