When a local goverment-appointed committee actually asks the people what they want, sometimes the people speak up, this time mostly about education as a driver for the local economy, plus the Public Defender’s Office. For context, see Courthouse Preservation Committee Meetings.
- Introductions: “the iconic symbol of Lowndes County” –Bill Slaughter
- Pledge, Introduction –Committee Chairman Judge Arthur McLane
- Powerpoint overview –County Clerk Paige Dukes
- Second floor courtroom for large crowds and gas lights –Judge McLane
- Wiregrass Tech Adult Literacy classroom space –Architect Glenn Gregory
- Downtown ideas –Michael Noll
- Public Defender’s Office –John Kent Edwards
- Commerce: small business incubator, college classes –Myrna Ballard
- Business incubator, VSU satellite arts location –VSU Pres. Bill McKinney
- $8-10M investment –Ellen Hill deferred to Howard Dasher, Downtown Dev. Ass.
- Wrapup –Judge McLane
Here’s a video playlist:
More ideas on day 2
Meeting #2, Lowndes County Historical Courthouse Preservation Committee (Courthouse),
Video by Gretchen Quarterman for Lowndes Area Knowledge Exchange (LAKE),
Valdosta, Lowndes County, Georgia, 10 June 2014.