Longest Monday morning was Chief Ranger Stephen Spradley’s Georgia Forestry report, a copy of which, scanned by Gretchen, is on the LAKE website.
Second longest was Chairman Bill Slaughter’s comments, in which he listed four upcoming events:
- 11AM, Wednesday, January 9, 2019: a law enforcement appreciation gathering at the Historic Lowndes County Courthouse.
- All day, Wednesday, January 30, 2019, Development Authority trip to Atlanta.
- All day, Thursday-Friday, February 7-8, 2019, Lowndes County Commission annual Retreat. He didn’t say where, but he did invite input.
- 5-7PM, Wednesday, February 13, 2019, the Bird Supper has been rescheduled to avoid a football game. It’s an occasion to meet the Georgia legislature while they eat quail. The county doesn’t seem to have anything on its website about this, but the City of Valdosta has a writeup, with the date wrong, and a facebook event, with the date right. It’s at the usual place: Georgia Railroad Freight Depot, 65 Martin Luther King Jr Dr SE, Atlanta, Georgia 30303.
See also the agenda.
- 1. Call to Order 4. Minutes for Approval
- Chairman’s Comments
5a. Valdosta-Lowndes County Development Authority (Joint Appointment)
Video. Valdosta appointee Aneesha Johnson did not speak. Commissioner Joyce Evans said she would “be here tomorrow to introduce herself.” They debated whether the term was four years or five. County Manager Joe Pritchard said five.
- 6 a. Abandonment of unopened Right of Way off of Reed Road
7 a. Termination of Hay Lease Agreement
Video. Originally approved March 2013. Chairman Bill Slaughter asked Utility Director Steve Stalvey what he planned to do with the leased space. Answer: they will continue to work the hay, and there were prospective renters.
- 8 a. Reports – Stephen Spradley- Georgia Forestry
- 10. Adjournment to Executive Session for Real Estate
Here’s a LAKE video playlist:
Videos: Retreat! Appointment to Development Authority, Abandon Reed Road, Ed Hay Lease, Forestry Speaks
Work Session, Lowndes County Commission (LCC),
Video by Gretchen Quarterman for Lowndes Area Knowledge Exchange (LAKE),
Valdosta, Lowndes County, Georgia, January 7, 2019.
Investigative reporting costs money, for open records requests, copying, web hosting, gasoline, and cameras, and with sufficient funds we can pay students to do further research. You can donate to LAKE today!