The Old US 41N paving project is no-bid. If they bid, they would actually know which was the most cost-effective….
In his Report, County Manager Joe Pritchard asked them to add to the agenda an item about fixing a private road off US 84, Carter Way. Most of the Commissioners previously seemed to be unfamiliar with this issue, although we had seen Chairman Bill Slaughter and Commissioner Joyce Evans listen to what seemed to be a request for this same road at the Lowndes County Democratic Party Meet the Candidates meeting the previous Monday.
See also the LAKE videos of the three county cases from the recent Planning Commission meeting. Below are the LAKE videos of the Monday 11 April 2016 Work Session, Lowndes County Commission, followed by a video playlist.
- 1. Call to Order 4. Minutes for Approval
- 5. Appointments VLMPO
- 6.a. REZ-2016-07 The Meadows, Bemiss Rd, R-A to P-D
- 6.b. REZ-2016-08 Coventry, Mulligan Rd, R-A to P-D
- 6.c. REZ-2016-09 Jack Schroephfer, New Statenville Hwy, CON to E-A
- 7.a. Quit Claim Deed for Drainage Easement on Guest Road
- 7.b. Surveying and Engineering Services – Old US 41N Phase II
- 7.c. Judicial Complex X-Ray Machine Emergency Repairs
7.d. Southern Region Traffic Enforcement Network (SRTEN)
Video. Jody Hall’s phone ringing. And nobody from the Sheriff’s department.
- 7.e. Information Technology Products and Services- Clerk of Court
- 7.f. Declaration of Surplus Equipment and Authorization of Sale
- 7.g. Declaration of Vehicles as Surplus and Authorization of Sale
- 8.a. Bid for Surveying Equipment
- 8.b. Bid for Right of Way Mowing
- 8.c. Bid for Interstate Exit Mowing
- 8.c. Bid for Interstate Exit Mowing (clarification)
9. Reports County manager
Video. To County Manager Joe Pritchard’s request to add an item for fixing private road Carter Way, Chairman Bill Slaughter added that there were extenuating circumstances in that the road was completely inaccessible due to culvert washout, leaving no school bus access. In response to a question from a Commissioner, Pritchard said this was a one-time fix, in which the right of way would temporarily go to the county for the fix and then revert to the landowners. If the county would pave roads on existing rights of way, instead of insisting on an 80-foot right of way, they could take that road in permanently, pave the existing road bed, and fix the problem.
- 11. Meeting Adjournment
Here’s a video playlist:
Videos: No-bid Old US 41 N, private Carter Way, VLMPO, Bemiss Road * 2, sewer, safety, and incarceration
Work Session, Lowndes County Commission (LCC),
Video by Gretchen Quarterman for Lowndes Area Knowledge Exchange (LAKE),
Valdosta, Lowndes County, Georgia, 11 April 2016.