Last Thursday the Valdosta City Council asked “every police officer, civilian and sworn” to come up front for 2a. Special Presentation of the CALEA Law Enforcement Accreditation Award, which took more than 15 minutes. That item alone was longer than yesterday’s entire Lowndes County Commission meeting.
Like the County Commission, the City Council apparently thinks silence is acclamation, at least for their minutes. They did at least actually vote on going into executive session to discuss real estate.
They did not vote on the Loitering Ordinance amendments because there will be a third reading. There will also be a third VPD Community Forum to discuss Proposed Curfew Ordinance, 8PM, Thursday, October 12, 2017, at Morningside Baptist Church. They have gotten some feedback already. They got more from a citizen who wished to be heard. Sorry I didn’t get her name: the city’s sound is very muddy. She seemed to recommend after-school programs and jobs intead of a curfew. She said we need to support the parents. Roy Taylor Sr. said something similar. John Robinson recommended building the community with jobs and activities. Elsie Napier talked about community grants.
Unlike the county, the city uses GEFA loans for Water and Sewer Infrastructure.
Below are links to each LAKE video of each agenda item, followed by a LAKE video playlist. See also some background along with the agenda. See also the preceding Planning Commission meeting about 4. Amend Future Development of GLCP by changing character areas.
- 1. Call to Order, Invocation, Pledge
- 2a. Special Presentation of the CALEA Law Enforcement Accreditation Award
- 2b. Special Presentation by Georgia Power
- 2c. Special Presentation – Carl Vinson Institute & GA Municipal Clerks
- 2d. October 2017 Employee of the Month
- 3. Minutes for Approval
- 4. Amend Future Development of GLCP by changing character areas
- 5a. Ordinances – Amend Loitering Ordinance – second reading
- 5b. Ordinances – Amend Promotional Procedures for Valdosta Fire
- 5c) CHIP Grant Application
- 5d. Amendment to GMEBS Benefit Retirement Plan
- 5e. Modification to GEFA loan for Water and Sewer Infrastructure
- 6. Bids – City Hall Annex Chilling
- 7. CTBH Encourage parents to do the right thing — Roy Taylor Sr.
- 7. CTBH Build the community — John Robinson
- 7. CTBH – Concern about curfew ordinance
- 7. CTBH Community grants — Elsie Napier
- 8. City Manager’s Report
- 9. Council Comments (part 1)
- 9. Council Comments (part 2)
Here’s a LAKE video playlist:
Videos: Curfew resolution second reading
Regular Session, Valdosta City Council (VCC),
Video by Gretchen Quarterman for Lowndes Area Knowledge Exchange (LAKE),
Valdosta, Lowndes County, Georgia, 5 October 2016.
Investigative reporting costs money, for open records requests, copying, web hosting, gasoline, and cameras, and with sufficient funds we can pay students to do further research. You can donate to LAKE today!